It has been scientifically hypothesised that several of the mechanisms by which acupuncture may work could be due to:
- Regulation of fertility hormones, FSH, oestrogen, and progesterone;
- Supporting follicle receptor expression, egg production and modifying the quality of eggs;
- Improving blood flow to the reproductive system affecting the endometrial lining, promoting implantation;
- Enhancing luteal function.
More research is required regarding mechanisms of acupuncture for subfertility. Click here for more information.
We approach your treatment at particular time intervals and stages, however, what we do to help you varies. Acupuncture is provided to our patients in preparation for in vitro fertilisation (IVF/ICSI) and integrated during specific phases of your assisted reproduction medical treatment.
Acupuncture may be incorporated during these phases of IVF:
- Down regulation a weekly session
- Ovarian stimulation frequency and technique relevant to age, AMH, ovarian response, history
- Prior to trigger relevant to age, follicular tracking outcome, history
- Embryo or blastocyst transfer depending on case history
- Extended implantation window and the two-week wait between days 6-10
- Early pregnancy up to 8 to 12 weeks depending on history and identified risk
Acupuncture: Our Goals
To respond to health concerns through acupuncture treatment methods
To review orthodox medical tests, investigations and any treatment to date and make recommendations and referral where necessary
To integrate acupuncture alongside your medical treatment when beneficial
To provide supportive care for your emotional health and wellbeing
To provide you with accurate information regarding the description of our methods, evidence base regarding outcome (where possible)
To facilitate informed decision making, shared and collaborative healthcare